There are so many decisions to make with weddings and to be more specific, the wedding design. One of the questions we always ask during our consultations is, 'would you like a Traditional Head Table/Top Table or a Sweetheart Table'?
Often times we get some couples say, never heard of a sweetheart table before, what's that? Or perhaps they are undecided. We wanted to share with you some factors to consider that may help your decision if you in limbo with what choice to make.
Top Tables/Head Tables - 4 Reasons
1. If you have a top table, with your parents and perhaps some distinguished members of your bridal party, you are able to free up seats among your guest tables. This can therefore be a very practical option if you are trying to manage your guest count and have as much space as possible to seat people.
2. Maybe you don't like all the attention being on you. As much as that can be difficult to avoid on your wedding day, at least with a top table it can help with you not feeling too spotlighted.
3. Having your parents and other important people of choice can be a very visual way of you honouring those special people in your lives. You're saying a lot without having to say anything at all.
4. Lastly, it's tradition! Well that's a matter of perspective because of course it depends n the culture you're considering. So for the sake of this article, we will narrow it down to Western Tradition. Many couples, and their parents just like sticking to the good old fashioned way of doing things, and you know what, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!
Sweetheart Tables - 5 Reasons
1. Sweetheart tables are essentially top tables featuring just the bride and groom.
We have found them to be really popular with our couples and they are definitely the modern look for weddings. You may perhaps want your wedding design to be bang on trend and this certainly is the right choice for that.
2. This option is less political! Maybe you have parents who have remarried, or parents who are separated and not on very good terms. It could be that one of you would be able to have both your parents represented but your fiance wouldn't and you don't want to draw too much attention to this. Perhaps there are people who feel entitled to be on the top table for whatever reason and yo do not share the same sentiment. A sweetheart table helps to avoid any potential drama.
3. Maybe like me you are a stickler for the details and the way your uneven numbers on the top table would look, would just annoy you. You can't do anything about the fact that you have 1 parent represented and your fiance has two, or you have 2 maid of honours and your husband has 1 best man...but the lack of symmetry would just hurt your head. For a nice clean look avoiding all that, a sweetheart table may well just be the right choice.
4. You may find that your parents and perhaps maid of honour and best man, don't want to be sat on the top table, conscious of everyone looking at them for the duration of the wedding breakfast. They didn't sign up for that awkwardness! What really does your maid of honour have to talk about with your parents anyway? What if she would rather be seated with her spouse and just be given the option of checking on you from time to time?
5. Lastly, when it comes to design, you can really show off with sweetheartables. It's the perfect choice from an aesthetic point of you as you are both beautifully framed. From a photographic point of you, capturing images is so much easier as you don't have to worry about trying to get everyone on a top table present and looking into the camera, at the right angle, all at the same time.
So there you have it! Lots to think about and consider. Whatever your choice, we will make it look absolutely stunning, as always. If you're still unsure, book in a consultation and we'll have a chat about it.